Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sewing It Up

The below are so true: 
"Singer is sewing made easy."
Love this machine!! 
My first project, making a matching pencil skirt and headband combo for G:
I LOVE the way it turned out! And am just thrilled that it actually DID turn out... Thanks Krissy for helping me plan out how to do it :)
Remember these skirts: 
(And oh my gosh, G has NO HAIR and SUCH chunky legs!! Haha!) 
Well they practically ask for an arm and a leg for these simple knit skirts and I'm so excited that I can now buy my own fabric and make them at a much lower cost. I love her happy face:
Not so excited in this picture:
I basically pulled out any knit fabric I already had laying around and whipped up a skirt. At some point I'm going to have to branch out and teach myself how to sew with other types of fabrics and something a little more difficult than 4 straight lines... but for now, I also whipped up this teeny tiny baby beenie for baby #2!! 
I pulled out one of G's newborn beenie hats to see what size I should make it and it's like the size of my hand! Crazy how you forget just how tiny they were... blows my mind that her head was so small. 
Another big benefit to having a sewing machine is being able to alter clothes to better fit you. I ordered these maternity clothes online in an extra small and they were still made to fit a SHIP. Seriously, why do they always make maternity clothes HUGE?! Like women want to look even bigger than they are... so annoying. 
Before on the left and after on the right:
I just had to take in each side about 1.5 inches and now it fits great! So great, I bought them in 2 colors:
Ps. I'm 29 weeks along! Crazy!!!! 
So obviously my eyes started to pop out of my head when I thought of all the clothes that I could fix! Kind of addicting actually and sometimes not such a great thing. Like when you purchase enormous and hideous clothes because you love the print and know you can fix it. But I try to limit those times to under $10 Walmart purchases so it's actually worth it to buy and remake. Not worth it to buy full price regular clothes to alter. Anyway, so far it's been fun relearning how to sew - my mom and grandma taught me years ago and I wish I would have paid more attention! But I'm so grateful for the basics and kind of surprised, it's like learning to ride a bike... it all just comes back to you even years later and a little bit of practice goes a long way. I went from thinking "Oh no, I bought this sewing machine only to make headbands and pencil skirts..." to thinking I can totally branch out and learn new things! Ps. it's SO frustrating that I am pregnant and have to wait like a lifetime (11 weeks) for all these altering projects... Grrrrr. Can't wait till summer!!


No comments:

Post a Comment