Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, December 9, 2013

Around Our House

After Halloween I was reluctant to take down my spooky mantle and bats, proud of them as I was, but I finally got out the boxes and starting packing away. I asked Zach to get out the Christmas boxes and as soon as I started unpacking those, I got excited all over again! Within a day or two, I had things up and running! Our pitiful simple tree:
That's right, I don't even have ornaments... just bows haha. And no tree topper. Sad I know! But we aren't even spending Christmas at home so I didn't go all out. Maybe next year.
Our Christmas mantle (many thanks again to my mother in law's great decor gifts!): 
I have yet to find a stocking for Georgia...
I even got into the crafting mode and created my own holiday trees since the ones in store are so expensive! Especially for a set... so I brought out the glue gun am pretty happy with how my $4 homemade trees turned out. Not bad!
Lately there has been plenty of cold weather and snow which makes for the perfect remake of Home Alone icy steps (I laugh when I think of Harry & Marv slipping and sliding around on those icy steps - one of my all-time favorite childhood movies!) so we really have to be careful when we use them.
Also around here, I have regained a lot of my energy and have been channeling my inner Big Sister and taking over Kelly's persona as dabbling/gourmet kitchen queen!! Making everything from scratch (something I didn't even know I had in me) there has been no shortage of blueberry muffins:
 Sugar cookies with frosting:
 Mini oreo-crust cheesecakes:
 My momma's Chocolate Banana Cream Pie (ok, I didn't make the crust from scratch but that is just too boring for me!):
Carnival Cruise Line's Chocolate Melting Cake! We have been on two of their cruises and ate at least one if not two of these cakes every night for dessert! They were my favorite and I have dreamt of them for so long! One day, while perusing instagram, the actual recipe was posted and I was SO excited, I couldn't wait to try it. I remember exactly how it should've tasted and this really was an exact replica. I loved every bite. So happy to have this cake whenever my heart desired :) and not just while cruising up a coast.
And even Buttermilk Pancakes!!! I didn't even really like pancakes until a couple of years ago when my husband again turned me over to the darkside.
  And simultaneously being against pre-made mixes AND making things from scratch, I have never EVER wanted to make pancakes, they seem so messy and not worth the time, but these were so easy and worth every bite :) can't believe it took me years to do this.
 Too bad the only ones who benefit from all this yummy fatty goodness around here besides us, are Krissy & Matt and the occasional neighbor or visiting family/friends :(
Seriously, my home is always open if anyone wants to have in on this!! 
I'll even make you dinner if you come see me - chicken & pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil and lemon cream sauce anyone? 
Consider me desperate and this as a high calorie bribe - any company in this freezing weather is welcome these days!
Despite missing lots of family and friends, this has been one of the best holiday seasons we've had since being married! 

5 comments:

  1. Still make me food after I move!!!!!! That pasta looks gooooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Everything is so cute and so yummy! We definitely want a dinner invite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always!! But first, we have to do dinner at your place. I don't remember what it looks like!! Haha

      Delete
  3. WHO ARE YOU?!?!?!?!
    ............................are you.....ME??????
    hahahahahaha
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahaha soon Georgia will be crazy and uncontrollable, baby boy will be handsome like me, and Zach will be slim like Jer and I'll be knocked up again like you!!! taking over your liiiiiiife hahahaha xoxoxo

      Delete