Family Picture

Family Picture

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bringing Baby Home

The next day we planned to bring Boston home. And by we I mean Zach. You can imagine how that gentle pressure was... "every meal costs..." "your epidural? $1000..." "that medicine?? put it on the tab..." Actually I was ok with it. They didn't keep the room that clean and I forgot some stuff for showering (not to mention I hate showering in any place other than my own shower) so I was anxious to get home. We put him in going home outfit and I was happy to see it wasn't drowning him - he's so tiny!! 
Proud daddy
 I am seriously so in love with him... despite some very concerned friends. I had friends asking me "How is it having a boy? Are you ok with it?" Haha!! As if I might not love him... 
Too funny. I can see where they might wonder since I wasn't exactly excited for this surprise pregnancy, and definitely anxious about the new adventure of having a boy, but just to be clear - I will not be giving him up for adoption (just yet) he's mine to keep! That face just melts me!
Georgia, Nana, and Papa were already at the house by the time we got there. Georgia immediately ran over and just pointed at him for a good couple minutes. 
 Then as soon as we took him out of the carseat... 
 It was free game!! haha I'm having flashbacks of a certain toddler obsessed with buckles... 
However, it proved to be not as much fun as she'd hoped?? She was instantly gentle with Boston from the get-go. I was surprised by how soft she always was and just wanting to lightly touch his head. 
Thankfully Nana & Papa took Georgia to Provo for the week to stay with them so that I could have a quiet house and time to bond with Boston and have Zach all to myself for the help I needed! It was so sweet of them, especially because she was kind of acting cranky. 

Naive as I was, felt pretty good the day I left the hospital and told my nurse I didn't want to be on pain killers anymore because I didn't like how loopy they made me feel. I felt like I couldn't bond with Boston like I wanted to because I was always so tired and could barely hold my head up while nursing him just from the drugs. The nurse was like yeaaaahhh... ok.... I'll just write you up a prescription just in case... That afternoon, I felt my first taste of the uterin contractions - something you don't really feel with your first baby, at least I never did. At first I was like "huh... that's what that feels like... that's annoying." and then I slowly realized that the drugs were just wearing off and annoying soon became intense pain, bringing me to the fetal position. I was dying. I had to breathe through them like contractions all over again! They kept me up all night and then I begged Zach to get me the bloody pain killers first thing in the morning and silently thanked the all-knowing and angelic nurse who wrote me that prescription when I so naively dismissed it. 
Second time moms-to-be TAKE NOTE. Accept the pain killers! You will need them! I was warned but just didn't pay attention because I had never known that pain.. I really don't know how women survived all this stuff without pain medication back then! Medals of honor to all of them. I am a pansy and I know it. I like the drugs. Within 5 minutes, I could resume normal life again, it was great. I really felt like I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!! (with percocet) haha. This time I just took 1 pain killer every 8 hours with IbuProfen in between and then slowly weened myself off after another week. Which in my book is pretty good considering I popped those things freely after my first baby and then called the doctor begging for more when I ran out at which point my father so graciously suggested that I should probably start weening myself off of them given it had been a few weeks and they won't last forever...
Anyway, those uterin contractions are killer and I am not excited that they get more painful with each child!! It's doesn't seem fair... but at least there is percocet in the world to even things up a bit ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment