Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Newborn Stuff

The next few days looked a lot like this:



 With some baggy black eyes and yawns in between and some brushing up on newborn skills as well as experiencing new gender specific joys - getting sprayed by the fountain of pee!! Ahhhhh the first time it got me I was like what the!!! Pee everywhere. Apparently it's pretty common in the first week until they can control it more. I finally learned how to combat that with precautionary wipes, and knowing me, I'll probably be using them until he's potty trained. Boys!! 
I even had a couple days where I fit in a shower and make up! 
It was so neat to have a newborn again and just focus on him and getting established. I also loved comparing and seeing how different Boston is from Georgia in just about every way! His little fingers and toes look so different. Georgia's fingers were always soooo long, skinny, and dainty and she has my long finger toes and narrow long feet. Boston's hands and feet are such BOY hands and feet! shorter and wider and not dainty at all. He is SO tiny, he didn't even have a butt! Seriously, no buttcheeks whatsoever. It was so strange looking to me! And many more differences that are so fun to see. 
Around the 3rd day, Boston started to get a little bit of Jaundice. Georgia never any of that so i kept my eye on it but I wasn't worried since most babies get it. It was just weird to see his skin yellow and even the whites of his eyes look yellow-y. I'd never seen that before. In fact I remember Georgia's eyes being so bright-white that my friend pointed out that's what she loves about babies - their beautiful white eyes before any veins develop. 
Breastfeeding this time around feels different. It was such a bond with Georgia and I but this time around seems to be a little more difficult I think because it wasn't as easy for him. He was so teeny tiny, I think it was harder for him to feed and took much longer. And because he had so many bottles in the hospital and in the first couple days, he also seemed to have some nipple confusion that took a whole day of no bottles to fix. Also, this time was so much more painful and engorgement seemed to last forever, I was dying! There have been some trying times but I have good friends and sisters to walk me through it and help me out day or night. Throughout that first week, I received dinner meals from members in the ward and friends who asked DAILY how I was and if I needed anything. Such a blessing! I sure missed my momma's home cooking and help, but more than anything, I just missed HER. I was taken care of and really didn't anything. Except for maybe more percocet. Because let's be honest, I am not the nicest human in high stress settings with lack of sleep. I hearby recognize that I overreact to many things in the first couple weeks after having a baby. I do apologize! I will say though that it is so interesting to me and a beautiful thing to see a mother's instinct come into action so naturally - it makes me feel so empowered to care for my babies! I love it. I wish men had it. Ha! But I guess that's what makes us a family :)



No comments:

Post a Comment