Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Give Me The Good Stuff

Backing up 3 months to December 23rd, 2012 4:30am....... I woke up to "stomach aches" that came and went. Finally around 5:00am I started counting and my contractions were about 5 minutes apart and getting stronger. So I hopped in the shower - too many disgusting things happen during birth, I wasn't about to add to it with my 4 day old hair and sweaty armpits (thank goodness for clinical strength DEO) - and knew I should go in to the hospital when I couldn't stand up straight anymore. I threw on some make-up, almost left without finishing it, but thought better of it since I knew I wouldn't care to finish it later. SO glad I did! The pictures were brutal enough WITH the make-up on. Arrived at the hospital at 6:30am to get checked in.

Never forget this: the first time I saw tears coming from Zach's uber tough eyes!! Yep. After knowing him for 6+ years, I finally saw him buckle. Probably one of my favorite moments ever. 
Not 5 seconds after we were shown to our private delivery room, we heard another lady in a room next to us scream the most horrible sounding scream I'd ever heard in my life. I thought they were breaking all the bones in her body. Then it was silent and we both thought she died. I look over to see Zach red, wobbly chinned, and brimming with tears. He looked at me and holding my hand said "I don't want you to be in that much pain..." which brought me to tears. Thankfully the nurse came in and explained that that lady had given birth unmedicated (crazy women...) and that happened to be her final push. My experience would definitely not be that painful. That completely wiped Zach's tears and after that, he went right back to supporting me the best way he knows how - making jokes and watching football. He's suuuuuuper good at it. 

At 9:30am my OB came in and said he could either send me home with a shot and see what happens or we could get this thing rolling and break my water. Fact: I don't love making decisions. So obviously I called my parents who were in church and at the moment, on the stand in the choir and couldn't pick up. Then I called my sissy who gave the best advice: Do it! Get it over with!! Go for it! Why would you want to be pregnant longer???????" 

So they gave me the drugs, broke my water and got the party started. I didn't realized that the party included laying down for the next 6 hours and feeling like your legs had died and should be amputated. Suuuuuuuper fun. 
The pic my mom insisted we send her pre-delivery (no idea why): 

And me pushing the button for more drugs more drugs more drugs:


All of a sudden, I thought I had crapped myself and I got super embarrassed and begged Zach not to look, but he assured me I did NOT crap myself, so it was a relief when the nurse came in to check me and said "you're complete. time to start pushing." Ahhhhhhhhh. With Zach supporting me on one side and some encouraging texts from sissies, friends, and family, I pushed for just over an hour and out came THIS: 

Georgia Paige Winger
7 lbs 5 oz
19.5 inches
12.23.12 @ 4:55 pm

To which Zach immediately exclaimed "YES, babe she has my nose! Sistrunk genes came through!" Because pretty much all the grandkids on his side has the famous Sistrunk button nose. 

I was shocked to see this little fair skinned pinky with RED hair and a button nose. Oh and one thing she got from me: long skinny finger toes. 

She is alllll Zach and left me with her feet. 

But I seriously didn't care even for a second after I saw her!! Loooooove this girl to pieces...



The only thing that ruins this picture: my BEAR CLAW. No wonder she was crying. She probably thought I was going to paw her to death.






 Aaaaaaand 24 hours later:
I hated my life and fell asleep instead of asking for MORE DRUGS and had to wait a couple hours since my nurse's shift had ended. I desperately needed a shower, a face wash, a tooth brush, etc... but all I could do was sit extremely still and pretend like I hadn't pushed a boulder out my rear end. I was terrified to do anything that involved moving the lower half of my body.
But then Christmas morning came and I WIN because I got to bring home the best present in the whole entire world.


Came home and finally decided to open Christmas presents which seem so lame next to our little G that we were so obsessed with already. Another favorite moment: watching Zach look at Georgia and say "Gosh I love her so much, I could just hold her forever."

First night in the cradle:


Which lasted about 12 seconds. After one night of ZERO sleep, not one wink, and 57 unsuccessful attempts of putting her to down to sleep, I turned to the experts! Who basically threw The Baby Book out the window and advised me to do everything the book says not to do: cushion them with blankets, prop the mattress up, let her sleep in her carrier, etc... so glad I listened!! Experienced moms give the best advice, thanks Kell and Mom, xoxo! 

I survived the first night and have spent every day after that trying to figure this all out.... thank goodness for the good stuff... which includes pain killers, sleeping pills, ice packs, Brookstone robes, hot baths, ice cream, etc.....

No comments:

Post a Comment