Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, July 8, 2013

Kitchen Table Project

With all of our expensive furniture shopping, I decided I wanted to refinish a kitchen table for us instead of buying a new one. I saw this one on pinterest, fell in love with it, and decided I wanted to give it a go:
Surprisingly soon after, no searching high and low or in dirty places, Zach found this kitchen table for me the other day at a garage sale! Only $60, sweet deal.
 Step 1: Zach sanded it down.

Step 2: I found some wood finish at Home Depot to match the wood floors in my house.
 I brushed it on and then rubbed it in with paper towels.
 It turned out perfect!!
 Step 3: I bought a stencil at Hobby Lobby and began stenciling. I started in the middle of the table and worked my way out. I only got to half of it before I had to call it quits for the night. It definitely would have been better to do it all in one sitting because the next morning, the stencil had dried funky and the rest of the stencil wasn't as clean.
 It was really time consuming, but I finally finished the stenciling! 
Step 4: I hand sanded the top again really lightly so it was just a little distressed and the wood was faintly showing through the paint. Then I primed the bottom of the table and painted the legs white and the edging tan to match the wood. 
Step 5: I painted two layers of polycrylic finish on the entire thing and hauled it into my kitchen!  
I seriously looooove how it turned out and can't believe I actually finished a project and did an acceptable job! It took so much time and effort and I love looking at it :) if only I had some chairs so I could EAT at the table! But that is still on the To Do list.

2 comments:

  1. You did suuuuuch an awesome job sister!!! So proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^ Seriously! It's totally cute!

    ReplyDelete